If you are unhappy with something, please tell us.

We appreciate feedback and suggestions from you. It helps us to develop and improve our practice.

We always try to learn from feedback, suggestions and complaints and ensure that we do all that we can to allow you to be satisfied with your care and our response.


Most of the time you are very satisfied with the care you receive, but unfortunately there are times when you are not happy. If this is the case, you have the right to complain, have the complaint investigated and receive a full and prompt response.

When should I complain?

As soon as possible. A complaint should normally be received within 6 months of the event, or within 6 months of you becoming aware of the event. The time can sometimes be extended, as long as it is still possible to investigate it. Reasons that you were unable to complain in the usual timeframe may include:
  • You were grieving
  • You weren’t medically well enough to complain

How do I complain?

  • Firstly contact the Practice Manager, Alison Maw. This can be either over the phone, or in writing
  • The first stage is called ‘Local Resolution’ where we try to resolve the complaint with you at a practice level. We can either do this formally via letters or via a face to face meeting
  • We prefer to arrange a meeting with you, the Practice Manager and the Doctor or Nurse involved. This gives you the chance to voice your thoughts and ask us questions. We will discuss any issues as openly and constructively as possible. This is often more productive than formal letter writing
  • If you are still not satisfied with the Local Resolution, you can take your complain to the ‘Healthcare Commission’, who will carry out an independent review of your case. You can call them on 0845 601 3012
  • If you are still unhappy with the outcome, you can refer the matter to the ‘Health Service Ombudsman’ who is independent from both the NHS and the Government. You can call them on 0845 015 4033

Who can help you?

Making a complaint can be a daunting prospect, but there is support for you if you need it.

  • PALS: Patient Advice and Liaison Service. They are located in every NHS trust and can advise you on how to take your complaint forward and help you to resolve it informally. However, they can’t make the complaint for you, or on your behalf
  • ICAS: Independent Complaints Advocacy Service. This is a free, confidential and independent service who can help you make a formal complaint about NHS services. They should be listed in the phonebook or PALS will have their current contact details
  • NHS Direct. You can call them on 0845 46 47
  • CAB: Citizens Advice Bureau. They can advise on NHS complaints

Complaints Procedure 2008

Helpful Web Links: